List:       bsdi-users
Subject:    Re: Outgoing email
From:       ronny () tmx ! com ! au (Ronny Cook)
Date:       2000-04-28 4:23:29

> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:10:01 -0600
> From: Jim Kinney  <wkjr@hiwaay.net>
> Subject: Outgoing email
>
> Hello,
>
> I have posted this question in the newsgroups, but have received no response.
> Basically, this is it.
>
> I have a corporate client who wants to be able to monitor a particular
> employee's outgoing email.  This client has policies and procedures which
> clearly inform employees that mail is subject to review when using the
> company's system.  Is this possible with Sendmail shipped with 4.1?  perhaps
> to archive to a particular location?
>
> I realize the whole subject is sometimes controversial, but I can't seem to
> find a technical answer to this.
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
>
> JIM

Assuming that they can force the user to use sendmail (by blocking any other
'Net access and not giving command-line access to SMTP), this is possible
but far from easy, and from what I can tell needs a bit of work outside
of sendmail proper.

The most basic technique is to have sendmail call an exterior program to
actually send SMTP email - possibly even a frontend to another copy of
sendmail using a different configuration file. The exterior program makes
a copy of all input before passing the mail to the delivery program.

Alternatively you could modify the sendmail sources so that any writes within
an SMTP DATA section are reproduced in a separate file, i.e. each write to
the TCP circuit is duplicated by an identical write to a log file.

Of course, you can get some fairly basic log info (message sender, recipient,
size) from /var/log/maillog.

		...Ronny
--
 Ronald Cook, Technical Manager - The Message eXchange - an Asia Online company
 Email: ronny@tmx.com.au ----- Phone: +61-2-9550-4448 ---- Fax: +61-2-9519-2551