List:       bricolage-general
Subject:    Re: Simplified UI (Was: Re: Diff in separate window? )
From:       David Wheeler <david () kineticode ! com>
Date:       2006-08-16 18:23:15

On Aug 15, 2006, at 03:34, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> Yeah, I know what you mean. It looked cleaner until I started
> adding the Bricolage color scheme actually. Maybe I'll go easy on
> that.

I'm sure we can figure something out style-wise that works; perhaps
more subtle use of the colors.

> Also, I'm thinking something more like the Active Stories view
> would be more useful. Then the user can order the stories as they
> like. I think keeping the checked out stories at the top is
> helpful, though perhaps indicating them another way would be
> enough. Here's an example:
>
> http://seespotcode.net/code/bricolage/briclite/table-index.html

Yes, I like that.

> It's still kind of busy as I've left the desk select and move/check
> in buttons. I guess one wouldn't necessarily need these and require
> a user to view the individual story to make any action on the
> story. However, as it's useful for us to have the Desk information
> there, it seems like a very small step to keep the move/checkin
> functionality on the index view as well.

Agreed.

> Columns are to be sortable like the current Active stories view as
> well. My Workspace stories and Other Active Stories are kept
> separate in the sorts (My Workspace is always on top.)

Makes sense.

> I don't know if it's possible to use multiple colors for text in a
> textarea.

Well, let's see…yeah, looks like you're right:

   http://www.webreference.com/html/tutorial13/14.html

But there must be some way to do something similar, as otherwise
WYSIWYG editors wouldn't exist (I'm not going there, though).

> That would be cool if it's possible. I see that Xinha allows
> coloring of text, so I suppose by throwing the formatting codes in
> tags we could have something like syntax coloring, but I don't know
> if it could be dynamic.

If it's done in JavaScript, I don't see why not.

> Would ti be possible to have Javascript dynamically check if the
> line matches ^\s+= and if so wrap it? The server side script would
> have to strip those tags out, of course. My Javascript fu is
> negligible to none, unfortunately. But it would be cool, wouldn't it?

I think that's do-able, yes.

>>> There will also be an edit view that will be pretty much like
>>> bulk edit, but in this simpler UI.
>>
>> I thought that's what we were already seeing. :-)
>
> Nope. That's an alternative to View. The Edit view needs something
> to, uh, edit.

Right. I think that it was the border around your text that threw me.

Best,

David