List:       bricolage-general
Subject:    Re: [Bricolage-General] Newbie help: Unable to Connect to Database
From:       David Wheeler <david () kineticode ! com>
Date:       2003-07-29 18:56:32

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 11:01  AM, Cinly Ooi wrote:

> Thank you very much for helping me out. It is working now. Its the
> pg_hba.conf file that crashed me out.

Cool.

>> You're right, it is.
>
> Dave, you are not the only one that miss it. I miss it too... and I
> still cannot find it. ;(

That's "David."

 > and the section mentioning pg_hba.conf is in
>
> Why does |make install| exit with the following error?
>
>  IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"
>

> My installation didn't fail. Is only after Dave asked me to try to
> connect to postgres on command line that I got a similar error.

Yeah, the FAQ question should perhaps be changed.

> Although I can see how these two items are linked now, I cannot see
> them initially.  Installing bricolage is definitely much easier then
> installing a lot of other application (kudos to development team) but
> is still not without any potential glitch. (Which application can do
> it without glitch?)
>
> I want to share my experience of how someone who don't known about
> "CPAN, postgres, bricolage" gets bricolage to work. As Dave knows, I
> jump through a few hurdles to get it work. (Nothing major, the hurdles
> are there simply because I am a newbie in all three areas mentioned
> before.) I think the FAQ section on installation problems can be beef
> up and I am to contribute by to writing up "how I overcome the
> hurdles". How can I contribute to the FAQ or may be some other
> suitable place?

perldoc Bric::Hacker, and then hack on Bric::FAQ (lib/Bric/FAQ.pod in
the distribution) and send the diffs you generate according to the
instructions in Bric::Hacker to bricolage-devel.

HTH,

David

http://kineticode.com/                         Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org