List:       bricolage-devel
Subject:    Re: automatically generating contributor pages
From:       "Ryan O'Toole" <rot () mit ! edu>
Date:       2009-02-02 1:38:42

> One issue with using the contributor name in the URL is that we have many
>> contributors with non-ascii characters in their names. Bricoalge went
>> ahead
>> and created stories for them without issue, but when I try to preview
>> those
>> stories, bric choked and stalled. An example URL is
>> "/contributors/an-my_l%C3%AA.html". I'm guessing Apache does not like the
>> way that is being represented.
>>

> That should be okay for Apache; it's escaping those characters to make them
> URL-friendly. But this is why using the contributor ID for the contributor
> for the story is better. Then you can strip out non-ASCII characters from
> the slug.

True, so much easier, but they'd prefer human readable URL over an
unmemorable digit. One thing I love about bricolage is that you can do it
either way.

You are right, Apache was fine with that URL. The problem was with an
unintentional recursive call I made in a template that resulted in an
infinite loop. The contributor page previews fine now.

ryan