List:       bricolage-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Bric Logo?
From:       David Wheeler <david () kineticode ! com>
Date:       2004-06-13 16:39:44

On Jun 12, 2004, at 6:17 AM, Marshall Roch wrote:

> Does anyone have ideas for a Bric logo?  The "logo" used in the UI is
> just Arial in an oval, which works well for the UI since it should be
> kept clean.  The website, on the other hand, could and probably should
> have some sort of cool little graphic/icon/typeface.

I have always wanted to have a nice logo--including for use in the UI
(branding should be consistent, after all). We've just never been able
to make it happen so far.

> I was searching around on Google Image Search and found an optical
> illusion of a rectangle/brick that never seems to end [1].  That seems
> cool because Bricolage -> Bric -> Brick, and that it never ends could
> represent the neverending possibilities of Bric or something.
>
> Another optical illusion I found is a cube that either appears to be
> popping out or going in depending on how you focus [2], perhaps
> representing the "there's more than one way to do it" mentality of
> Perl, and therefore Bric.
>
> I'm sure some thought has gone into this before; what have people come
> up with?

Nothing, actually. But I have to say that I've always hated the
association of Bricolage with bricks. Neither Bricolage nor the term
"bricolage" have anything to do with bricks or brick-laying. I know
that quite a lot of people call it "Bric," and that they like to think
of building content from components as being like brick-laying. But
it's nothing like brick-laying to me. The word "bricolage" is about
creating something new from the heterogeneous array of things available
around you. Think collage or found-object art. Brick-laying is far too
homogenous and boring.

So for those who want to think about what kind of bug we might have in
a logo (and although I've always wanted to have a bug, I'm okay with a
really good [and memorable!] type-only treatment, too), here are some
of the terms I associate with bricolage and the sorts of things it does
and is about:

content management
publishing
workflow
collage
found art
creativity
writing
authoring
design
flexibility
power
scalability

FWIW, my wife, who is a graphic designer, has promised to work on a new
logo. I'll forward any discussion and ideas from the list to her, and
in the next week or so she and I will sit down and hammer something
out.

   http://www.strongrrl.com/

Regards,

David