List:       bricolage-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Previewing templates.
From:       Sam Tregar <sam () tregar ! com>
Date:       2002-03-27 19:20:43

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 09:15  AM, Sam Tregar wrote
>
> > Here's an alternate idea: when you preview a story the burner first looks
> > to see if you have any templates on your My Workspace.  If you do then it
> > uses them for the preview run instead of the deployed templates.  This
> > would have the benefit of being self-contained; since the mechanism is the
> > private My Workspace it's impossible for you to break anyone else's work
> > while testing a template.
>
> Still tricky. Templates must be deployed before you can use them.

Right, that's how it works now.  I was suggesting a change - that burners
look first at what's in the user's workspace.

> We can get around that by deploying templates on My Workspace to a
> special directory relevant only to the current user, and adding it to
> the component root.

That sounds like a reasonable workaround.

> But this, too, has problems. If you use template includes, where do you
> insert the special component root into the component root stack?

At the top?  I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

> I think that this solution would likely be very complicated and difficult
> to pull off --

That sounds accurate.  Do you have a better idea?

> and likely not perform too well, to boot.

Performance of debugging features is highly unimportant.  Also, the
entire publishing system performs so badly at this point that I can't
imagine this would have much impact!

-sam