List:       bouncycastle-crypto-dev
Subject:    Re: [dev-crypto] Re-usable PKCS#10 CSR generation.
From:       Martin Paljak <martin () paljak ! pri ! ee>
Date:       2010-05-24 11:24:04

Hello,

On May 21, 2010, at 09:00 , David Hook wrote:
> The mods are probably a bit too low level for what we have to meet.
What do you mean with this? That the modification deals with a too low level of \
bit-tricking, which is not suitable for BC or that the patch does not meet the \
required consistency level to be considered?

> There's been a bit of a discuss about this here as well. If you look at
> some of the things we're currently doing in the CMS API it's pretty
> clear we've stretched the provider architecture as far as it will go.

I'm sorry, I probably lack the context as I've only used BC, never looked under the \
hood before.

> At the moment we're considering creating some interfaces which provide
> the basic operations (such as sign, verify) in a way not dissimilar to
> how the interfaces are defined in the light weight API. This would allow
> us to break things like CMS, PKCS#10 and certificate generation away
> from the actual JCA/JCE. There's a bit of work in this though, and I'd
> certainly be interested in any feedback on the idea that people might
> have.

I have a real life need which I fixed with the mentioned patch. As said, it is easier \
and more logical (IMHO) to provide means for such structure manipulation instead of \
creating a "mini intermediate provider" for the specific case (which, indeed, might \
fit better into the current BC design)

If there's anything I could provide or help with, please let me know, but I currently \
did not understand if the approach is not OK or the specific patch is not OK (for \
lacking docs or some specific checks or something similar)

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Paljak