List:       bouncycastle-crypto-dev
Subject:    Re: [dev-crypto] PGP Literal Data Packet woes with encoded filenames
From:       Rolf Viehmann <rv () payment-network ! com>
Date:       2009-01-20 10:46:40

Harakiri wrote:
 > --- On Mon, 1/19/09, Rolf Viehmann <rv@payment-network.com> wrote:
 >
 >> If the correctness of your output depends on the locale,
 >> maybe you use a function in a wrong way. For example, the
 >> Java function String.getBytes() is available as a
 >> parameterless method, but also as a method that uses the
 >> specified encoding. To quote the docs:
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > thanks for your information but this is perfectly clear to me and has
nothing to do with the problem itself. GPG uses command line output
(shell) and has nothing todo with java - i just wanted to compare BC
with GPG - telling that GPG does interpret the output of the literal
package as UTF-8 (i looked into the sources and they are converting it
always to UTF-8).

Ah, I see. We had a problem with the encoding being different on Windows
vs. Linux, with the getBytes() method being the culprit. Nobody did know
that the getBytes() method can take an encoding parameter. But if this
is perfectly clear, and not the core of the problem, I can't help you at
the moment.

Rolf