List:       botan-devel
Subject:    [Botan-devel] New Python configure system, and 1.8.3-RC1
From:       lloyd () randombit ! net (Jack Lloyd)
Date:       2009-07-03 16:58:42

I've written a new broken configuration system (in Python) to
replace the old broken configuration system botan currently uses.
As with any program rewrite, many bugs have been fixed, but
similiarly many new bugs have likely been introduced.

That said, I'm pretty happy with it thus far, it's about 40% the
size of the old version in terms of linecount and quite a bit
easier to understand/modify.

It works out of the box with Python 2.5 or 2.6; Python 2.4 will work
except that an updated version of the optparse library is
needed. Python 2.3 might work, but I haven't tried it.

Currently it's been tested on only:
  GCC/Linux/x86-64
  GCC/FreeBSD/x86-64
  MSVC/WinXP/x86

The Perl and Python configure scripts will coexist in 1.8.x, but
long term I am planning on dropping the Perl version.

To help encourage people to test the new system, I've produced a RC1
spin of 1.8.3. Please try configure.py on your system with whatever
options you normally use - and if it works, or doesn't, please let me
know. Any other comments would also be appreciated.

Other potentially interesting changes:

 - Added the Skein-512 hash and the P1619 XTS cipher mode

 - Entropy seeding was encountering many problems, especially in 1.8.2.
   Various changes should have resolved these issues. Especially if you
   were having problems with PRNG_Unseeded exceptions, please test your
   app against this RC to make sure everything is now happy.

The RC is at:
  http://files.randombit.net/botan/misc/Botan-1.8.3-rc1.tgz

Thanks,
  Jack