List:       botan-devel
Subject:    [Botan-devel] Re: Key generation for SEAL stream cipher
From:       lloyd () randombit ! net (Jack Lloyd)
Date:       2005-10-11 20:26:18

That is a good point - I don't know how much analysis has been done of
WiderWAKE either. I believe the original paper showed some good results for
security, though IIRC the primary reason for the WiderWAKE design was better
performance rather than better security.

There are a number of newer stream ciphers that support the features you're
looking for, like Turing, Snow, Helix, and Lili-128, but as far as I know none
of them has been given much analysis yet, which is one of the reasons they
haven't been implemented in Botan yet (I think it's probably been at least a
year or two since I added any primitive algorithms to Botan, actually). So that
may be something to look into again, to expand the current options for users
who need 100 Mbyte+/sec encryption rates.

-Jack