List:       botan-announce
Subject:    [Botan-announce] Botan 1.4.7
From:       lloyd () randombit ! net (Jack Lloyd)
Date:       2005-09-26 13:31:33

After a solid six months since the release of Botan 1.4.6, I put up 1.4.7 last
night. The most noticable change is that an inlining bug in recent versions of
GCC that was affecting performance was diagnosed and worked around, so many of
the common algorithms are as much as three times faster as they were in older
versions. This improvement is most noticable for the hash functions, but many
of the block ciphers are also significantly (20 to 100%) faster.

The PRNG changes I mentioned previously on the dev list have also gone in. The
FIPS 186-2 and ANSI X9.17 PRNGs have been removed and a standards-conforming
implementation of the ANSI X9.31 PRNG added. Randpool was also cleaned up quite
a bit. Nothing here should be noticable for most users, however.

Finally, there are a number of bug fixes and cleanups in this release,
including some fixes for Visual Studio 2005, support for the commercial EKOpath
amd64 compiler (patches from Bryan O'Sullivan, who reports a 12% speedup), and
some fixes for building on OS X. There is also a patch from Matt Johnston that
really helps the performance of the Pipe member function read_all_as_string()
[forgot to put this one in the changelog], and some cleanups in the
engine-related code, though I still have some more work to do in that area
before I feel satisfied with how things are set up.

I have recieved quite a few patches or bug reports since releasing 1.4.6, and I
may have lost track of some of these in that time period. If you sent me
something that I said would be fixed in 1.4.7, and it's not in, please remind
me and I'll make sure it is resolved in the next release.

In other news, Botan has replaced Crypto++ as the crypto library used by
Monotone (http://venge.net/monotone/), a GPLed distributed version control
system. I'd like to thank Kaushik Veeraraghavan for working with the Monotone
team on that integration work, as well as pointing out the performance problems
with GCC to me.

Jack