List:       boost-users
Subject:    Re: [Boost-users] accessing internal graph properties
From:       Sebastian Weber <sebastian.weber () physik ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2004-11-29 17:28:49

> We considered this syntax (you might be able to find the discussion on
> the Boost developers list; GMane is running a bit slow for me at the
> moment). The basic problem is that we would need both const- and

actually I do not unterstand that point, but well, I guess I am to new
to the BGL to get that.

> On the performance side, it would make copying descriptors more
> expensive (e.g., with VertexListS=vecS, a vertex descriptor is just an
> integer; it would have to go to _at least_ a pointer). On the other
> side, I don't see that this would help performance much when accessing
> internal properties.

Well, it does help! Since I got a workaround to that problem: I checked
the code of the adjacency_list.hpp a bit and got the idea how I can save the

boost_graph[vertex_descriptor]

lookup to my desired internal property object: by storing pointers to
just that returned object, which is of type Spot* in my example. This
works great and speeds up my application at least a bit. If you are
interested in some code, you are surely welcome.

Greetings,

Sebastian Weber