Paul Baxter wrote: >> I'm very interested in the SIMD part. What functions of the math >> toolkit would be targeted? Also, will this project create facilities >> that I can use SIMD hardware with my own calculations? For example, I >> would very much like to do ray/box intersection tests by using SSE. >> Would that be possible after the SOC? >> >> This project might be of interest to you, in case you didn't know >> about it: >> >> http://www.pixelglow.com/macstl/ > > Glen Low at PixelGlow was very positive and proactive with macstl > (smart cookie!) but sadly didn't get as much interest and commercial > support as he needed to put bread on the table. This is tricky isn't it: these things are good academic projects, but are very much "niche" applications :-( The other issue is portability: although several platforms support vectorised float operations (including NVidia graphics cards if you want to gain some extra cores!), only Intel supports vectorised double operations as far as I know, and it's these latter that I'm interested in :-( > I found MacSTL reasonably good but not that well supported on x86 > (much better on Altivec). Glen was a little prone to hyperbole in > some of his speedup claims. I also found that the Intel compiler was > reasonably good at optimising C (gulp) code to achieve the same sorts > of speeds (particularly relevant for complex numbers which are > hopelessly SIMD optimised in C++ by Intel). > > Perhaps also take a look at www.codesourcery.com and their VSIPL++ > option. > It uses expression templates to coalesce sequences of ops and makes > use of SIMD operations and also utilises underlying vector libs if > available but as with macstl, has a more restrictive license. Unfortunately BLAS/FFT style operations, aren't the ones we really need in this project (think vectorised Horner evaluations and the like) :-( Cheers, John. _______________________________________________ Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost