List:       bonding-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bonding-devel] Re: Bonding driver unreliable under high CPU
From:       Jeff Garzik <jgarzik () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-09-17 20:15:53

Jay Vosburgh wrote:

>       Well, now that it's been pointed out to me, that does look pretty
> grotty.  It works because MII_LINK_READY is defined to be 4, and the return
> from bond_check_dev_link() is always a bitwise test against MII_LINK_READY,
> so it works.  Could be cleaner, though.

Yep.  Sounds like you also might want to replace a non-standard constant
(MII_LINK_READY) with its standard constant from linux/mii.h,
BMSR_LSTATUS, too, if you are going to use it like this.

>       As far as netif_carrier_ok() goes, is it reliable?  In looking at the
> drivers, it appears that some don't update the flag (e.g., 3c59x.c).

No.  Only some drivers implement it at present -- though all should.
Patches to fix up drivers to use netif_carrier_{on,off} would be very
welcome.  There are several examples in-tree to emulate...

	Jeff