List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Re: [Bochs-developers] MorphOS port
From:       Bryce Denney <bryce () tlw ! com>
Date:       2001-07-23 16:25:33

Nicholai-

Your email came through the list just fine, and I appreciate the effort
you put into it.  I have been too busy in the last month to do very much
Bochs work at all, so don't take it personally.

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Nicholai Benalal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I checked out the latest source from CVS and updated my MorphOS (AmigaOS
> PPC) port for this source. This wasn't very problematic. I have a few
> questions however:
>
> 1) I don't understand how interrupt_reason in harddrv.h would work in
> a bigendian architecture (see ie the bit field tests in harddrv.cc).
> I solved my problems by reversing the order of the fields but it would
> be interesting to hear why nobody else seems to have had a problem
> with this...

I was not aware of this use of bitfields until I read your post.  It does
seem quite dangerous, and we either need a #if BIG_ENDIAN type of macro
around the declaration or to not use bit fields at all.

> 2) Bochs paniced with the bios from cvs but worked fine with
> BIOS-bochs-990925. Am I the only one to have a problem with this?
Bochs panics on some kinds of boot problems that were silently ignored
before.  At present, having a valid hard disk image is required, and
floppy images are optional.  (You can make a 512 byte file and point to it
if necessary.)  This is a limitation in the BIOS code I believe.

> 3) I need some setting to inform the gui if bochs should be started in
> fullscreen or window mode. Is anyone else interested in this? A
> screenmode string could also be useful...
>
> 4)  I have 4 AmigaOS specific files that I would like to commit (for
> gui and cdrom). I attach them in this mail. Hopefully someone could
> commit them for me?

For the gui/*.cc files, it is normal to have a separate file for each
platform.  For cdrom.cc, all the platforms which are supported at all have
a section like #ifdef WIN32...#endif in cdrom.cc.  Is there some
equivalent preprocessor symbol, such as #if MORPHOS or whatever?
You must have changes to the makefile and other files as well.

Regards,
Bryce