List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    [Bochs-developers] FreeBSD guest?
From:       Chris Emerson <chris () tartarus ! org>
Date:       2001-07-23 9:40:07

Hello,

I'm currently interested in running FreeBSD under Bochs, and have tried
the picobsd floppy image from the Bochs page with Bochs 1.2.1.

With the default configuration, it panics with the "WRMSR: not implemented
yet" message, so I've compiled with --enable-cpu-level=4 to get around that.
I disabled the ps/2 mouse in the PicoBSD boot, as suggested by the picobsd
image README.

After the "Reading /etc/from startup floppy..." message, I get the following
panic (typed in by hand):

--- begin FreeBSD panic ---
Fatal trap 10: trace trap while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01976cd
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xf01ccffc
frame pointer           = 0x10:0x0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          =
trap number             = 10
panic: trace trap

syncing disks... 1 1 1 1
--- end FreeBSD panic ---

This is running on either i386 or ppc Linux.  I can provide any other info
if it's helpful.  The 4 Meg Linux image seems to run fine.

Is there anything I can do to help get FreeBSD booting?  I'm happy to test
things, and if it's a few-evenings-or-less job I can have a crack at it if
pointed in the right direction.  :-)

Cheers,

Chris