List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    [Bochs-developers] hard disk sizes
From:       Bryce Denney <bryce () tlw ! com>
Date:       2001-05-31 22:28:31

Can anyone help to describe the constraints on cylinders, number of heads,
and sectors per track for a hard disk?  I'm working on a new mkimg-type
program to create disk images, so I need to understand the limitations.
The constraints that I know of are:

cylinders between 1 and 65535
heads between 1 and 16
sectors/track between 1 and 63

If you're making an image from scratch, is there any problem with always
saying that heads=16 and sectors/track=63, and then cylinders
varies from 1 to 65535 depending on what the user asks for?  This would
give you hard disk sizes from 516k to 32.3 gig.

Pointers to documentation would be great.

Thanks,
Bryce