List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Re: Emulating 80486 CPU (& 440FX)
From:       "Kevin P. Lawton" <kevin () bochs ! com>
Date:       1999-09-29 19:13:24

Chris Smith wrote:

> The main reason I'm working on bochs at the moment is that I hope to use it
> to test NT device drivers for PCI devices - no more messing around with bus
> analysers and the like!
>
> Personally, I'd like to see PCI as soon as possible - I'm planning on
> working through the i440FX code myself once I've got NT to install properly.
> I expect I'll aim for a BX chipset in the end, as they seem to be generally
> pretty stable on *real* PCs.
>
> I'm going for a PCI bridge function that will provide a clean interface to
> add additional devices in at compile, and then set their positions on the
> PCI bus in the .bochsrc file. Thoughts/ideas/comments would be much
> appreciated!

Yes, I think a BX would be a good choice.

We'll probably have to change some of the framework a little
to make aquiring resources more dynamic.

I'm not sure on a good interface yet, until I get a chance to
look more at PCI.  Though, if you lay out what kinds of things
you need in the framework of bochs, I'll add them.  Sounds
like you have a good idea of a clean interface + options
in .bochsrc.

-Kevin