List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Patch which (1)allows 1.76MB floppies, (2)adds Maths expression evaluation & Char Mem display to Int
From:       C Hanish Menon <hanish () innomedia ! soft ! net>
Date:       1999-09-14 6:45:16

Hi everyone

  I am pretty new to Bochs in terms of using it. I had downloaded it a long
time back and was updating myself with the latest releases but had never used
it or gone into it to make myself wet till yesterday. It was a holiday & I went
thro it. Thats when I found some features missing & also a bug so I have tried
to rectify them. They are

1) Support for 1.76 MB floppies.
----------------------
  Some of the Linux on floppy distributions use this kind of floppies. But the
current release of Bochs had only support for 1.72MB floppies. So I have
updated the floppy.cc file so that for Floppies read as DiskImages there is
support for this.

2) Maths expression evaluation & Char Mem display in Internal Debugger
  When trying the Internal debugger I found a need for Maths expression
evaluation. So I added it. I have implemented 2 ways.
	2.1) maths [add|sub|mul|div] num1 num2 ------> a simplistic way.
	2.2) PostFix expression evaluator
		maths "num1 num2 op1 num3 op2 num4 op3 ....opn"
		nums = either in Hex or Oct or Decimal.
		Currently opx = +|-|*|/
	In one or two days  I will add support for AND(&), OR(|), XOR, etc (i.e
BitWise operators)

  Also I felt a need for showing the memory contents as chars in Examine (x,xp)
commands, so I have added support for it. By using the letter 'c' to denote it.

3) Fixed a likely bug in parser.y
-----------------------
  Parser.y was calling bx_dbg_examine_command twice once for Simulator 0 &
next for Simulator 1 even if only one simulator is there. This was leading to a
core dump in my system when ever I used to examine any memory content from
within the Internal Debugger.

  So I have used 2 methods to solve it at the 4 different places where it can
occur.
  3.1) Use Preprocessor Condition check for BX_NUM_SIMULATORS >= 2 before
calling the command the 2nd time.
  3.2) Be in a loop for BX_NUM_SIMULATORS times calling the examine_command,
that is basically call the examine_command for all the available simulators.(?).

  Or isn't it better that the user is given the liberty to decide from which
simulator to get the contents. I don't know if this feature is there in some
other way or not as I haven't looked into it in depth.

NOTE: To apply the patch gunzip it. Copy it to the bochs-990907b directory.
	Then use patch -u -Np1 -i bochs-990907b.hankvc.essential.patch

Keep :-)
HanishKVC

["bochs-990907b.hankvc.essential.patch.gz" (application/x-gzip)]