List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Re: Drive ID command supported?
From:       bochs () world ! std ! com (Kevin P Lawton)
Date:       1999-02-17 18:12:22

> Greetings,
>
> I'm bringing Roadrunner up under bochs and I've run into a snag.  My
> IDE hard disk driver used the Drive ID command (0xec) to determine
> the geometry of the IDE disk.  When I issue this command under bochs,
> I get the following output and crash:
>
> disk: Drive ID Command issued : 0xec
> disk: Read all drive ID Bytes ...
> bochs: panic, IO write(1f7h): command 21

I do support the DriveID command.  What's panic()'ing here
is that bochs encountered the command 0x21, which is
"read sectors, no retries".  I just haven't seen this
command yet.  It's really the same as 0x20 which
read with retries, for bochs, since I really don't
retry 'cause I just read from Unix.  So you can probably
just do this in iodev/harddrv.cc:

from:
       case 0x20: /* read multiple sectors, with retries */

to:
       case 0x20: /* read multiple sectors, with retries */
       case 0x21: /* read multiple sectors, no retries */

Let me know what this does for you.  And could you send
a brief synopsis of RoadRunner?
-Kevin