List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    [Bochs-developers] An idea to use Bochs to make a disk image for an older computer
From:       Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-06-25 1:45:09

Hello!
I have here a Compaq Portable 2 machine. It's original hard drive was
a  20 Megabyte one that failed sometime earlier. I tracked down a copy
of MS-DOS 3.3 that Compaq updated to enable larger disk images. What
I'd like to do is create a disk image of 64Megabytes and use Bochs to
install DOS onto it. Once it works the way it's supposed to, that disk
would be written to a CF card of the same size using Winimage.

And using the tools that Compaq created not all that long ago to
manage the thing, I would then go about telling the computer about the
replacement. Also swap the defective disk for this CF card using a
special holder that a company in Switzerland created that enables a CF
card to be used in place of regular sized disk drives, the 3.5 sized
ones. That firm also makes ones that do the same for earlier laptop
drives.

Using Winimage I also made up a collection of such disk images from
that card, but, ah, Bochs isn't thrilled with trying to read them. As
for the other virtual machine programs, I'm not sure about them.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com