List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Re: [Bochs-developers] please help test prerelease
From:       "Ian Calegory" <ian.calegory () adelphia ! net>
Date:       2002-06-20 19:57:15

Hello,

Here is a little info. about the Windows binary:

To get the Windows binary to run, besides the normal setup with disk image
files and the .bochsrc file, I had to create the "bios" folder and put
the files
   BIOS-bochs-latest
   VGABIOS-elpin-2.40
in it from the root of the archive.

Also, I still haven't gotten Windows 95 installed as the guest OS with
Windows XP as the host.  DOS seems to work o.k., but I haven't gotten
anything other than DOS to work.  During the Windows 95 install (following
the instructions given in docs-html/windows95.html where appropriate) the
guest computer hangs during component detection, and after restarting the
setup process about six times, it finishes.  However, upon restarting the
guest PC at the appropriate point, it hangs at startup where it says
"Starting Windows 95...".  Windows 95 as guest seems to work much better
when run on a Linux host. (I actually got Windows 98 SE installed as guest
on Linux host -- it works o.k. when booted to Safe mode, but hangs if booted
up in Normal mode.)

Windows 95 Setup command line I'm using:
setup /C /im /id /is /iq /in

Under Windows XP, the Windows 98 Startup Disk still crashes at this point
(and it doesn't count down from 30 at the startup menu, as it does under
Linux):
  Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
  様様様様様様様様様様様様様様様様様

     1. Start computer with CD-ROM support.
     2. Start computer without CD-ROM support.
     3. View the Help file.

  Enter a choice: 1

This driver is provided by Oak Technology, Inc..
OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM device driver, Rev D91XV352
(C)Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1987-1997
  Device Name        : MSCD001