List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Re: [Bochs-developers] Dreamcast
From:       Dave Poirier <eks () void-core ! 2y ! net>
Date:       2001-12-16 6:25:12

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 01:06:11AM -0500, Jason Dodson wrote:
> Yeah, you pretty much are hitting it on the head.
>
> I REALLY want to get Bochs running on the Dreamcast and load an OS from it.
> Unfortunatly, I see two problems:
>
> - Firstly, I wouldn't know even where to begin to load an OS under Bochs, if
> Bochs was loaded first
> - Secondly, I would need to write drivers for said OS to use the hardware,
> such as sound driver and svga driver, etc
>
> So my solution would simply be to run it via DCLinux, and have it load say a
> DOS or windows environment that way. Seeing as though DCLinux has a video
> driver, GDRom driver and all of that jazz (Even a sound driver is under
> development), I think that loading an alternate OS within Bochs on top of
> it, I could maybe just write a driver or TSR that just interfaces with the
> linux driver. I dont know... best way to find out is dive in I guess.
>
> Wish me luck.

Oh dear, you are trying to get past quite many thingies here.. ;)

First, I am not sure that the Sb16 emulation under Bochs works
perfectly, I never tried it over here but I have my doubts on it.  As to
where to begin with loading an OS under Bochs (we normally call it a
guest os), you could try to do it under a real pc first, something
running linux (to get you familiar), then it would be a simple matter of
getting bochs to compile for DCLinux.

It really isn't that hard, you use a .bochsrc file which points to your
bios images and to your disk images.  You then start bochs.

Have you actually ever try running bochs on your PC? that might be a
good thing to try, that would at least give you a taste of what is
possible and what isn't.

EKS - Dave Poirier