List:       bochs-dev
Subject:    Re: [Bochs-developers] VC++/win32 compile made easy
From:       Bryce Denney <bryce () tlw ! com>
Date:       2001-09-24 16:12:17

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Psyon wrote:
> Compiles with 875 warnings, but works.
Good, that's what I see as well.

The bigger question is:
Is win32 compile support good enough?

When you download the current CVS snapshot, there is a simple make
command, "make win32_snap" which runs configure, unpacks the VC++
workspace, and builds a win32 ZIP file that is ready to compile.  But this
still must be done on cygwin or a unix box.  If the CVS snapshots and
release versions include this ZIP file that is ready to compile for
win32...is that good enough?

Since win32 users will probably not want to re-configure very often, we
can document what you have to change to enable the debugger, or turn off
the CDROM or whatever.  In many cases, you just have to edit a line in
config.h to turn options on and off.

I don't see a way to make a platform independent configuration that is any
better than the autoconf/configure system that we already have.  We could
write a highly portable stdin/stdout configuration interface, but it
really feels like reinventing something that is already working.  We could
write the configuration in perl, but then you have to download perl on
win32 systems.

There are also some decisions to make on the VC++ workspace.  How many
different configurations do we need?  One with optimization and one with
VC++ debugging turned on?  One with the Bochs debugger off, and one with
the Bochs debugger on?  One with sound blaster support off, another with
it enabled?  We don't want too many different configurations, or none of
them will get tested adequately.  Also, some win32 developer(s) need to
take responsibility for keeping the workspaces up to date.  The
dependencies and file lists don't change very often, but they do change!
For every configuration that we create, at release time somebody will need
to show that they all compile and run.

-Bryce