List:       blackicedefender-technical
Subject:    Re:  BID Listening on TCP/UDP port pair
From:       "JJ-99 " jeffffej
Date:       2000-04-29 1:26:48

Must be backtracing in action.
BID sends out a query, then 'listens' for the replies.
The "fix" is to turn off both backtracings.

As an aside, I am amused by people worried that backtracing gives
away their IP address.
It's like someone knocks on your front door, and you worry that they
might find out that you _have_ a front door!
It's TOO LATE. If they're knocking, they are at the door already.
Backtracing just tells them that someone is home and watching.
I realize all of the arguments about confirming that you are there,
and all of that.  I am still amused.

Hope someone else is amused by my amusement.
Peace.
JJ