List:       bitpim-user
Subject:    Re: [BitPim-user] Any update for BitPim broken on Linux 2.6.17??
From:       "Stephen Wood" <bitpim () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-23 18:52:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 8/23/06, Aaron M. Ucko <ucko@debian.org> wrote:

> "Stephen Wood" <bitpim@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When you use the VX5200 with BitPim, do you do it through an ACM
> > device, or directly to USB?  I think the ACM driver is basically
> > broken in 2.6 kernels.
>
> Directly to USB (as autodetected).  Anyway, my understanding is that
> BitPim needs the diagnostics port whereas the ACM driver only grants
> access to the modem port.

This depends on the phone.  Some phones such as older Sanyo phones
(including the 8300) and many Samsung phones only have a modem port, and
that is the port one talks to for phonebook syncing etc.   Under linux, for
these phones, if the ACM driver is broken, then the only thing left to try
is to convince the OS not to load the ACM driver and use direct USB support
instead.  That didn't work when I tried it a very long time ago, but it is
worth another try.

It may also be relevant that I build BitPim myself rather than using
> the "official" binaries.

I don't think that is relevant.   You just have a phone that doesn't
use/need the acm driver, so you don't have the issues that other linux
2.6users have.

Stephen