List:       bitpim-user
Subject:    [BitPim-user] Bitpim 0.8.00 on VX-LG3200 causing pointer problems in Music media folder
From:       "Andrew Hogan" <andrew () andrewandcindy ! com>
Date:       2005-10-30 2:21:05

Bitpim 0.8.00 behaves the same as 0.7.37 with regard to the
trouble with uploading ringtones I reported on Oct. 24.

ie. as with 0.7.37, 0.8.00 is seems to be causing pointer problems
in the VX-LG3200 Music media folder. Although the uploaded ringers
appear correctly in the bitpim Filesystem hierarchy, only ONE ringer
appears & plays in the LCD display of the cell phone.

Below is an example that illustrates the problem.

Exhibit #1
----------
* initially my LG-VX3200 has one additional ringer called "galaga"; ie.
LG-VX3200 phone "Menu" > "My media" > "Music" shows (1)galaga and plays fine
* bitpim is started & /Ringers\ tab is empty
* bitpim /Ringers\ tab: added bond.mid, jeopardy.mid, pac man.mid,
wickie.mid
* bitpim /Ringers\ contains {bond.mid, jeopardy.mid, pac man.mid,
wickie.mid}
* bitpim "Data" > "Send Phone Data" > "Ringtone (o) Add (_) Replace All"
* bitpim /Filesystem\ shows {bond.mid, galaga.mid, jeopardy.mid, pac
man.mid, wickie.mid}
* but, LG-VX3200 phone "Menu" > "My media" > "Music" shows {(1)bond
(2)<blank> (3)bond (4)bond (5)bond};
* note: (1)plays 007 theme, (2)plays nothing, and (3) & (4) & (5) all
play 007 theme as well, galaga does not appear; nor do any of the others

Exhibit #2
----------------
* bitpim /Ringers\ tab: deleted everything from Ringers and added galaga.mid
* bitpim /Ringers\ contains {galaga.mid}
* bitpim "Data" > "Send Phone Data" > "Ringtone (_) Add (o) Replace All"
* note: bitpim log indicates "Skipping writing user/sound/ringer/galaga.mid
as there is already a file of the same length"
* bitpim /Filesystem\ shows {galaga.mid}
* LG-VX3200 phone "Menu" > "My media" > "Music" shows (1)galaga and plays
fine

So, by way of Galaga ringer re-appearing at the end of the exercise, it
appears that data integrity is maintained in the cell phone, and the pointer
problem is non-destructive. But, that doesn't help the problem that the
cell phone user interface is unable to recognize more than one ringer
uploaded from bitpim.

For Protocol Log info, please refer to my previous post, for v0.7.37 on
2005-10-24 19:25.

And, while we're on the subject of ringtones, BitPim does not correctly
get the ringtone identifier associated with PhoneBook entries.
ie. I have one entry in my LG-VX3200 for which the ringtone is assigned
to 'galaga'. The rest of the entries use the default ringer. When I use
'Get Phone Data' function in BitPim the /Ringtones\ tab does not show
galaga for that one entry. Instead BitPim indicates that there is no
special ringtone assigned. Subsequently (not surprisingly), when I use
'Send Phone Data' to upload my PhoneBook (with changes/additions), the
entry that used galaga gets clobbered, ie. reverts to the default
ringtone. So, I have to manually change the ringtone back to galaga
using the LG-VX3200 interface.

However, when I use Smith Micro's QuickLink v3.3.5 to read the PhoneBook,
it correctly downloads the RingTone identifier field.

--Andrew Hogan

================Supporting information below==================

PC system is: Win2000 on Compaq Evo N620c laptop
USB cable is: LG-USBC1000-X
bitpim ver: 0.7.37 installed on top of 0.7.36
Cell phone: LG-VX3200 purchased from AllTel
Cell S/W ver: S/W# T32ATV03, PRL# PRL 705, ERI# ERI 100

bitpim Ringers transcript:
bond.mid, Midi type 0, 8.8 sec, 0.3kb
galaga.mid, Midi type 1 (6 tracks), 8.1 sec, 1.0kb
jeopardy.mid, Midi type 0, 14.8 sec, 0.4kb
pac man.mid, Midi type 1 (5 tracks), 4.4 sec, 0.5kb
wickie.mid, Midi type 0, 7.5 sec, 0.5 kb

bitpim Filesystem screen transcript Exhibit #1:
[-]- /
 '-[-]- user
    '-[-]- sound
       '-[-]- ringer