List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Try to pull, get a PENDING directory
From:       Larry McVoy <lm () bitmover ! com>
Date:       2004-12-02 22:26:09

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 03:40:02PM -0600, Mike Marty wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 14:16, Chris Wright wrote:
> > * Mike Marty (mikem@cs.wisc.edu) wrote:
> > > I have a repository A cloned from the parent P.  P is several changesets
> > > ahead of A.  A has some checked in changesets to its own repository.
> > >
> > > When attempting to do a "bk pull" in A, a PENDING directory is created
> > > with the changes, but A is not updated.  No RESYNC directory is created.
> > >
> > > What is the PENDING directory and how do I proceed?
> >
> > Find the file that's edited and save the diff aside (bk pull should have
> > told you).  Then unedit, and bk receive . < PENDING/2004-12-02.01 (or
> > whatever the name).  then bk resolve.  Now reapply your diff and carry on.
> >

> I made sure that no files were edited.  However looking at the output of
> bk pull, the problem appears to be a file that "can't find its key".
>
> =================================== ERROR
> ====================================
> takepatch: can't find key
> 'alaa@cottons.cs.wisc.edu|ruby/profiler/CompressionProfiler.C|20040309001939|04422|9a1e1146' \
>                 in id cache
> takepatch: patch left in PENDING/2004-12-02.02

That means that a file, which is internally named by that key, is not found
in your repository.   Whenever you are confused about what BK is doing, the
first step is

	bk -r check -acv

and tell us if that passed or not.  In this case it would not and it would
point you at more information on how to solve the problem.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com