List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] I forgot to push
From:       Rick Richardson <rickr () mn ! rr ! com>
Date:       2004-11-02 15:27:04

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 06:50:19AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:45:53AM -0600, Rick Richardson wrote:
> > Is there a *hideously fast* way I can tell if I have unpushed changes
> > that I could add to my "cd" alias for when I enter a repo?
>
> You could put some triggers in your repo, one post-commit which touches
> BitKeeper/log/needs_push and one post-outgoing which removes that file.
> Then all your cd command has to do is
>
>    test -f BitKeeper/log/needs_push && echo This repo has unpushed changes
>
> How's that?

Sub-optimal, because I'd have to change dozens of existing repos to
make it work.  Of course, I'd forget to do it to the one that really
needs it.  I'd need something like a way to add "personal" triggers
that would effectively apply to any and all repos I had out.  So I
could add the trigger in just one place, probably in a dot directory
under my $HOME.

I suppose for now I will bite the 1/2 second bullet and put

    if [ -d BitKeeper ]; then
	bk parent
	_changes=$(bk changes -L)
	[ "" != "$_changes" ] && echo This repo has unpushed changes

in my cd alias.  That should always work, no?

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson  rickr@mn.rr.com    http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Linux tools for geocaching          http://geo.rkkda.com

High oil prices encourage drilling and alternative energy research.