List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    [Bitkeeper-users] how to query changes in my parent repo?
From:       "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2004-10-30 12:09:40

  something i would assume would be a fairly common task -- how can i
query my parent repo for changes of interest to me?

  i realize i can use some variations of "bk changes -R" to get
reports of changes in a remote/parent repo.  but i work in a fairly
restricted part of a BK repo, and i *frequently* ask the following
questions:

1) what files have changed in the parent repo?

  (already have the answer to that:

   $ bk changes -Rv -nd':GFILE:' | sort -u)

but there are some other common things i'd like to know:

2) has anything changed in *this* specific file, or any files in
*this* directory?  if so, what are the actual diffs, so i can decide
whether i'm interested in doing a pull.

  in short, just the basic questions of: what's happened lately in the
parent repo?  and how specifically can i ask that question?  i'm sure
there are ways to do this, but they may very well be non-obvious.  as
an example, i thought it would be a fairly straightforward query to
ask, "what files have been updated in my parent repo?"  i really
didn't expect to get a solution that seemed not that obvious (the one
given above).

  i think *these* might be the sort of things that belong in an FAQ.
(as an aside, i've historically been down on FAQs, since i find most
of them contain kind of artificial, contrived questions, rather than
the kinds of questions that real people actually ask over and over.)

  perhaps there could be a BK "cookbook", along the lines of the
o'reilly cookbooks, that show how to do useful and common things in
non-obvious ways.  based on my still being a newbie at this, my
impression is that it's possible to do just about *anything* in bk,
but even simple tasks might have non-intuitive solutions, which is
exactly what a cookbook is for.

rday