List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    [Bitkeeper-users] More joy with Treediff and -tpatch
From:       Brendan Heading <brendanheading () clara ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-09-12 23:27:33

On Windows XP (bk-3.2.3 I'm having problems getting treediff to work
very well. I've got two trees with quite a lot of diffs and new files
(several hundred) involved; one tree is already in a repo. The output is
a 6MB patch file. There are uncertain combinations of files terminated
with CRs and CR/LFs, I didn't bother dos2unix'ing them. (update : I
tried that but it didn't make any difference)

To generate the patch I'm doing (plain ole DOS prompt):

z:\repo> bk -r get
z:\repo> bk treediff .\ ..\newer_baseline\ >c:\out

then,

bk import -tpatch -C c:\out .

When I do this, patch.exe occupies 100% of the CPU. Using NT Filemon, I
can see it's constantly reading a temporary file kept within the
Bitkeeper installation directory. Nothing much seems to happen. Then I
try to apply the patch manually:

z:\repo > patch -p1 <c:\out

It seems to be getting through some of my files, then we get :

Assertion failed: hunk, file ../../../gnu/patch/patch.c, line 378

This occurs on one of the new files. Funny thing is, it works fine with
most of them, and fails on a specific one for no apparent reason. If I
delete the offending directory, I get a bit further and then eventually
get an error :

missing header for unified diff at line 3739 of patch
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?

Then a dialogue box pops up saying that Windows closed patch.exe, I
assume that's the Windows equivalent of a segfault.

Any ideas what's going on here ?

--
Brendan Heading, Belfast, Northern Ireland