List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    [Bitkeeper-users] Re: [bitkeeper] keeping track of cvs changes in a bk "vendor" tree
From:       Thomas Glanzmann <sithglan () stud ! uni-erlangen ! de>
Date:       2004-07-29 9:13:47

Hello,

> I found out you're actually using bk to keep track of a cvs repository.
> Could you point me to some handy info on how to do this myself? I'm quite
> new to bk.

I have one repository which I include upstream patches using

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.mutt.org:/home/roessler/cvs patch -u -D 2004-07-23 -D 2004-07-25 mutt

from time to time.

I set the this repository to 'bk level 0' so that my other repositories
(child) can't push to this repository but only pull, because they're
'bk level 1'

Than I have another repository which is a clone from the first one and I
can only pull changes into this repository but can't push them back into
my vendortracking tree. My changes to mutt are comitted into this second
repository.

to get a diff between the two repositoroes so (upstream vs. hc) I use
the following command:

bk export -tpatch -h -r`bk repogca`,+ > ~/.www/mutt/mutt-cvs-header-cache.4

In the near future I am going to write a script which tracks the
mutt-cvs tree automatically and commits the changes to the vendor tree.
However there are much 'better' solutions which keep the cvs history but
it's a big hack and I like to have the control of things I am using and
this one works perfect for me and does exactly what I want at the
moment.

Sincerely,
	Thomas

!DSPAM:4108bfce115471477856220!