List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] argh!  what's with "bad host name"??
From:       Larry McVoy <lm () bitmover ! com>
Date:       2004-07-09 0:48:33

> i don't mind that at all.  all i wanted was consistent behaviour,
> based on how the env variable BK_HOST is *supposed* to work.  i'll
> keep an eye on this and let you know when it happens again.

If you can show us a reproduceable test in which setting the BK_HOST
variable results in the behaviour you claim then file a bug with
"bk sendbug".  I'm pretty sure that all you are seeing is that you
set it once and then you forgot the next time.  If there was a real
bug here I suspect that everyone on the list would be telling us as
well.

In general, you are far better off to get a real hostname.  There are
lots of ways to do this, why your dhcp server isn't giving you a host
name is beyond me, most do.  But you can trivially give yourself a
hostname, just edit /etc/hosts and a real name to the localhost line.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com