List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Binary searches through "bk changes"
From:       Matthias Urlichs <smurf () smurf ! noris ! de>
Date:       2004-07-06 19:35:12

Hi, Larry McVoy wrote:

> The problem you are having is that you are thinking about the history as
> linear and it isn't, it's a directed graph.

Binary searching that graph directly is somewhat convoluted.
You have to do it, though; you can't binary-search based on the
timestamps.

I've started to write a program which does it, but it's not complete yet.

Ideally, it'd have a GUI like revtool. I've found that a textual
interface is adequate for the job, but you can speed up the process
by another order of magnitude if you can manually suggest merge changesets
to investigate.

Ideally^2, of course, you write a short program which tests for the
feature/problem, and then you let the binary search run by itself while
you do something more intellectually rewarding. ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs