List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Problems with symlinks and patches
From:       Andy Isaacson <adi () bitmover ! com>
Date:       2004-06-02 20:15:04

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 03:10:48PM -0400, Mark Baker wrote:
> I'm trying to do a seemingly straightforward action of applying a patch
> to a repository, but the whole thing's failing due to symlinks.  Not
> being very experienced with diff/patch in the first place, I don't know
> which tool to blame nor how to remedy the problem.

Diff doesn't do anything special with symlinks; they're just another
file (at least as far as I can tell).  So the generated patch has the
changes for the symlinked files, as well as for the originals.

You could go add a --ignore-symlinks option to diff, or you could just
use -X to exclude your symlinks.

-andy