List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] kernel building from clean BitKeeper tree
From:       Sam Ravnborg <sam () ravnborg ! org>
Date:       2004-02-24 6:05:46

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:13:53PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> (changed subject to reflect straying from original topic)
>
> Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> >I've seen problems like this in parallel makes because the makefiles didn't
> >have dependencies set correctly, in the kernel in fact.  But I've never
> >seen it with a non-parallel build and I run this way with BK daily.  Lots.
>
> Well, I can reproduce it easily, so it must be a problem in the kernel
> build system. I did the following (with no special bk preferences, no
> "auto get" turned on):
>
> $ bk clone bk://path/to/linux-2.6
> $ mkdir foo
> $ cd linux-2.6
> $ make O=../foo

I've never tried to optimize kbuild for such a case.
kbuild assume files are present, and the file that can be retreived
from bk is due to built-in rules that I one day may decide to turn off.
Why shoull all the non-bk users wait for a processing of these rules,
when they anyway does not work in all cases.

I you think there is something wrong in kbuild with respect to
dependencies say so. and I will tak a llok. That concerns me much more.

	Sam