List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] RFE: Distinct push and pull parents
From:       Larry McVoy <lm () bitmover ! com>
Date:       2004-02-13 2:16:12

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 06:50:03PM -0700, Dale Hagglund wrote:
> Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> writes:
>
> > This problem is already solved in the commercial tree which lets you
> > have multiple "parents" and each can be incoming, outgoing, or both.
>
> Is this in commercial bk-3.0.3, or is it coming out in a future
> release?  "bk help parent" doesn't seem to indicate anything about
> this in our version.

I've been thinking about doing a roadmap posting so here's a thumbnail.

3.0.x is the current free and commercial release.  Going forward, 3.0.x
will be free only.  The changes going into it will be focussed on bugfixes.

We're currently almost 100% focussed on making our Windows based users
happier.  The #1 problem is our use of Cygwin.  The next release, 3.0.5,
will not require a Cygwin install.  We're shipping MSYS instead, buried
under the BK install directory, so that you can have whatever version
of Cygwin (or no Cygwin) installed and BK will do the right thing.
That alone will be a big win for our Windows users and it is going out
to free and commercial alike.

We have an unreleased 3.1.x tree.  We've pre-released this to some
customers because it contains features that they want.  All the real
advances in the product are going into the 3.1.x tree, for example,
it has the bk explorer interface:

	http://www.bitkeeper.com/bkexplorer.gif

and the new diff library

	http://www.bitkeeper.com/ndifftool.gif

as well as lots of other features.  One of the other features is a license
server which has been long in coming.  It has all the pleasant aspects of
the current BK licensing model but gives managers more information and more
control.

There are other features which we will enumerate in the release notes, but
the short summary is that 3.0.x is bugfixes and 3.1.x is commercial.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com