List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Question about tracking existing software packages
From:       Larry McVoy <lm () bitmover ! com>
Date:       2004-01-19 17:30:29

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:18:50AM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Yes, another reply made me rethink that. All my repositories need to be
> clones of the -master one, not clones of each other. That way I can do
> "sideways" pulls from my patch tree(s) into my -testing and/or
> -internal-release tree, but the patch trees never contain any changes
> that aren't meant to be sent upstream (and there would be a separate
> tree for each patch, to keep them isolated).

This is how we (and a lot of commercial BK users) work.  We have implemented
an ad hoc queuing system wherein we "queue" changes against the integration
tree.  The maintainer comes along and cherrypicks the changes that look good
into the integration tree.

This process gives us cherrypicking and well reviewed code and has definitely
lead to a better product.

Feeding patches back to the GNU folks is a variation on the same theme and
should work well.
--
---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm