List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Can I have BitKeeper use my version numbers?
From:       Paul Jackson <pj () sgi ! com>
Date:       2003-12-13 6:26:48

Douglas asked:
> Regarding SCCS not providing symbolic names, what did people do if they
> needed to be able to check out consistent snapshots of older versions of
> the software?

We layered stuff on top of SCCS.  I speak as someone who did just that,
at a Bell Labs site in Denver in the late 70's, one of the Labs where
Marc Rochkind, author of SCCS, also worked, before he left the Labs,
to start some companies of his own.

We considered SCCS to be one piece of the source management puzzle,
useful for handling per-file revisions reliably.

Just like Larry does now - only BitKeeper is way ahead of anything
we did back then.

--
                          I won't rest till it's the best ...
                          Programmer, Linux Scalability