List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] merging changes from another tree.
From:       Chris Wright <chrisw () osdl ! org>
Date:       2003-12-04 17:57:23

* Fisher Alex (Alex.Fisher@uk.thalesgroup.com) wrote:
> I would like to merge in changes that happened after 2.4.20pre2 of the
> main Linux tree in to my tree.
>
> Since the Galileo tree does not appear to be cloned from the Linux 2.4
> official bitkeeper tree how is this best acheived?

Since they don't have same root id you'll have to handle this with
patches.  I keep a two trees, one (clean) tree which essentially mirrors
the vanilla kernel.org source, and one which has all local additions.
If you aren't doing this, you should be able to extract it by doing
smth. like bk clone -rv2.4.20-pre2 from the galileo tree.  You can easily
import incremental patches to this clean tree (there shouldn't be conflicts
assuming that clone contains clean k.o source) using something like bk
import -tpatch -R -Sv2.4.<ver> -y"Update to 2.4.<ver>" which will tag and
commit with a comment.  Now you can pull these changes from the clean tree
to the galileo tree and take advantage of the nice merging facitilities
bk provides.  While it's more busy work, it might be simpler to do this
is reasonably small increments so that patch conflict resolution is
easiest...depends on your local changes.

hope that helps,
-chris