List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    RE: [Bitkeeper-users] BitKeeper docs [was updating 3rd party...]
From:       "Staelin, Carl" <staelin () exch ! hpl ! hp ! com>
Date:       2003-11-18 8:19:47

Larry,

As you know, I wanted the tracking stuff (which
you already pointed out).  I should also like to
know how to:
	- see the list of tags
		- e.g. I want to create a repository
		  that is linux-2.6 as of version
		  2.6.0-test9, but I don't know what
		  changeset has that tag, so I want
		  to list the tags and their changesets
		  so I can 'bk clone -rX.XX' properly
	- pull a single changeset plus any dependencies
	  it has from another repository
		- e.g., I have a working tree, call it
		  linux-2.6-chs, where I have been
		  working and debugging and I have
		  fallen behind with 'bk pull', and I
		  have heard that there is a new patch
		  in the mainline tree that fixes a
		  particular bug.  I want to pull in
		  only that changeset and possibly those
		  changesets that that patch depend
		  upon.  How do I do it?
	- I am tracking a third party project to
	  which I occassionally contribute.  I have
	  three trees:
		- track-external	-- the third-party
					   source tree
		- track-master	-- what I use as the
					   master source tree
		- track-chs		-- where I do my development
	  Now, I use track-external to checkin changes
	  in the third party sources, and I then push
	  those changes to track-master.  I do my
	  development in track-chs and push/pull changes
	  to/from the master tree.

	  Occassionally some of my changes are accepted
	  by the third party, e.g. new files or patches
	  to existing files, but the changes are merged
	  in with lots of other changes done by others.
	  The third party sources are only released as
	  tarballs every so often, and no change history
	  is available.

	  Is there some easy way to handle the merging
	  so I can have some rational change history in
	  the master repository?
	- Is there some way to do the equivalent to
	  'bk pull -rX.XX' (e.g. pull from parent upto
	  changeset X.XX?), and similarly for
	  'bk push -rX.XX'.  I don't remember seeing it
	  in the docs.

One suggestion, why not setup a wiki for a BK
combination HOWTO/FAQ where people can add their
tips/tricks/use-models/etc.?  If you had a
'how do I do ...?' section where people could
add questions in the FAQ, then either BitMover
people or other users could hopefully add the
answers.  This would make the process less of a
one-shot deal and more of a process.

Cheers,

Carl

[(hp)]	Carl Staelin