List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] merge and aggregate weekly
From:       Alexy Khrabrov <braver () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-10-12 17:08:10

It seems that the taboo topics of merging BK repos,
and importing several CVS directories into one BK repo,
are met with the silence of the lambs.  I reckon several
possibilities of why this is happening:

(1)  It's a well-known limitation of BK, that its repos
     have the "root" and somehow they are not mergeable
     due to unique id irreconcileable differences

(2)  CVS import happens only once, another limitation

(3)  As a friend of mine said, "either I am a fool, or
     one of the two".

Theoretically, nothing precludes multiple import, or
merging two BK repos preserving all histories.  You can
be more clever or less clever in mappings, but it can be
done.  So, is this in the works, and nobody talks about it,
or the feature is not frequently asked for?  I find that
hard to believe, as hierarchical organization often comes
with a project growth as an afterthought.  You can move
directories within a project (can you move them up/down?),
but if you split projects or want to merge them, you have
to merge repos.

This was the Import, Aggregate, and Merge (I AM) weekly
vox clamantis in deserto.  :)
Cheers,
Alexy