List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Retrieving particular release of linuxppc_2_4_devel
From:       Dan Kegel <dank () kegel ! com>
Date:       2003-02-19 17:51:11

Rick Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 04:28:08PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>>The Linuxppc kernel trees are stored in Bitkeeper (thanks, Larry!).
>>
>>What's the best way to retrieve linuxppc_2_4_devel as of
>>2.4.19?  Browsing through http://ppc.bkbits.net:8080/linuxppc_2_4_devel
>>I see that the right changeset appears to be 1.1091.1.23
>>(Lord only knows what those numbers mean):
>

> When you say retrieve, it looks like you want a copy of the bits outside
> of a BK respository?

Inside or outside doesn't matter, since I more or less know how
to export.  It's the "fixed name" part I was worried about.

>>>ChangeSet@1.1091.1.23, 2002-08-03 16:26:58+10:00, paulus@samba.org
>>>  Merge samba.org:/home/paulus/kernel/linuxppc_2_4
>>>  into samba.org:/home/paulus/kernel/linuxppc_2_4_devel
>>
>>The magic recipe we receved from the gods to retrieve that version is
>>
>>ver=1.1091.1.23
>>bk clone -r$ver bk://ppc.bkserver.net/linuxppc_2_4_devel \
>>linuxppc_2_4_devel-$ver
>>cd linuxppc_2_4_devel-$ver
>

> This is fine.
>

>>find . -type d -exec bk get {} \;
>

> better is : bk -r get

Ah, thanks!

>>find . -name SCCS -print | xargs rm -rf
>>rm -rf RESYNC/
>>rm -rf PENDING/
>>rm -rf BitKeeper/
>>rm -f ChangeSet
>

> If you want the bits outside of a BK repository, you can use 'bk export'
>
>   bk clone bk://ppc.bkserver.net/linuxppc_2_4_devel
>   bk export -r1.1091.1.23 linuxppc_2_4_devel linuxppc_2_4_devel-2.4.19

Thanks, you're kinder than I deserve :-)

> If you want them in a repo:
>   bk clone -r1.1091.1.23 bk://ppc.bkserver.net/linuxppc_2_4_devel
>   cd linuxppc_2_4_devel
>   bk -r get
>

>>That seems to work.  However, I'm a bit concerned for several reasons:
>>0. it looks pretty hacky
>

> Agreed.
>

>>1. there's no label on the changeset in question
>

> You can add one to your local if you'd like:
>
>  bk tag ppc_devel-2.4.19

Not terribly appealing, as I was hoping to use the upstream labels.

>>2. Tom Rini said:
>>  "... keep in mind that revision numbers are not constant, only TAGs,
>>    and keys.  Poking in the BK help should tell you how to go from
>>    a rev to a key, and then back."
>>So I'm afraid that magic 1.1091.1.23 is going to get renumbered
>>sometime, and I'll have no way to retrieve a 2.4.19 that
>>works on ppc405.  Poking around on bitkeeper.com's online
>>doc revealed no discussion of "keys", so I'm a bit mystified.
>

> Try 'bk helptool' which will pop up a gui window.
> Search on 'key', and it will show commands which mention key.
> bk key2rev is one.
>
> Key is a name that can't be changed.  The key for your
> version can be found a number of ways.  One is:
>
> $ bk prs -r1.1091.1.23 -hnd:KEY: ChangeSet
> paulus@samba.org|ChangeSet|20020803062658|55132
>
> so you have have
> ver='paulus@samba.org|ChangeSet|20020803062658|55132'
> bk clone -r$ver bk://ppc.bkserver.net/linuxppc_2_4_devel
>
> And that will be stable over time.

Thanks very much.  That should take care of all my concerns,
I'll give it a try.  (Though I am surprised I didn't run
into key2rev when I did a web search for 'bk key'.
Guess I should have tried "bitkeeper key", which does have one hit.)
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com