List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    [Bitkeeper-users] CVS gateway, BKL intent clarification
From:       Evan Powers <powers.161 () osu ! edu>
Date:       2002-12-07 21:45:42

The university department I'm employed by is doing some research programming
and is currently using CVS to host their repositories.

Since the development is distributed between it and other universities, things
are getting kind of hairy. I've suggested that we switch to bitkeeper. The
powers that be have expressed interest, but there are a couple issues.

It's uncertain whether we can convince the other universities to make the
switch. (We control the codebase, but not completely.) So it would help
greatly if we could host our own repositories with bitkeeper yet present some
kind of CVS interface. I've found the discussion about CVS gateways in the
bitkeeper-users archive, and I understand the issues involved. We'd probably
implement only minimal functionality.

The code doesn't have an explicit license yet, but it will probably be
opensourced. In any case, if we use BK, it would be under the BKL since
buying commercial licenses won't fly.

Now to the point of this email:

I vaguely remember something Larry McVoy posted to linux-kernel (or something
like it) in response to people suggesting the creation of CVS gateway
software.

If I remember correctly, he said that BitMover considered CVS gateways to fall
under the following BKL clause:

	Notwithstanding  any  other  terms  in  this  License, this
	License is not available to You if You and/or your employer
	develop,  produce, sell, and/or resell a product which con-
	tains substantially similar capabilities of  the  BitKeeper
	Software,  or,  in the reasonable opinion of BitMover, com-
	petes with the BitKeeper Software.

We wouldn't want to run afoul of the BKL, so I'm posting in the hope that
someone at BitMover can elaborate on the company's position. I may even be
remembering Mr. McVoy's post incorrectly; it has been some time since I saw
it.

Sincerely,
Evan Powers