List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Comments after running through the BK demo
From:       Larry McVoy <lm () bitmover ! com>
Date:       2002-09-27 13:19:31

Hi Misha,

these are questions better brought up with support@bitmover.com but since
we're here I'll run through them.

> 1) Very slow bk clone / bk pull from http://bkdemo.bkbits.net/bk_demo{,1,2}

I think this is on your end.  I just tried it from FSMlabs (they are in
New Mexico and we are in San Francisco)

bash-2.05a$ time bk clone -q http://bkdemo.bkbits.net/bk_demo1

real    0m33.640s
user    0m2.120s
sys     0m0.490s

I did it twice, same results.

> 2) Moving a BK repository
>
> Part way through the demo I moved the repo to a drive with more space
> (using Win2K explorer). This seemed to work fine, until the final bk
> push to update the parent repo -- which did nothing (not even print a
> "nothing to push" message).
>
> I realised that this was because the bk_demo repo was pointing to the
> parent repo in the old location. When I used "bk push ../my_parent"
> to tell BK the new parent location, everything worked fine.
>
> a) What is the correct procedure for moving a repo? (I didn't just delete
> and re-clone, because of the performance problems noted above.)
>
> b) Is bk parent <newlocation> following a repo move sufficient or is
> there other metadata to fixup?

bk parent <newlocation> is all you need.

> c) Shouldn't bk pull/push give a warning if the parent can't be found?

Yes, it should.  And in the next release it does:

$ bk push /tmp
ERROR-cannot cd to /tmp (illegal, nonexistant, or not package root)

> 3) citool UI issues
>
> Using citool, if you press the "edit" button after pressing "commit" once,
> you get stuck editing the "Press commit again" message in the middle
> left pane, and Ctrl-I just inserts tabs. I had to kill the process to
> try again (but I was pleased that citool had saved my comments for me).

This works correctly for me, we must have fixed this.
--
---