List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Reliably using BitKeeper on 'out of reposit ory' files?
From:       "Matthias Urlichs" <smurf () noris ! de>
Date:       2002-07-29 8:42:22

Hi,

Andy Chittenden:
> ... but that's not what was originally wanted. What I'd like to see is a
> means of sharing the config files across most if not all of my servers: I
> could then try out a change on one server and then propagate it to all the
> others easily with a simple commit, bk push and then bk pull on each server.

So use triggers.

pre-pull: verify that all locally managed files are unchanged.
post-pull (after merge): install the pulled files, restart or SIGHUP any
servers which don't notice when their config changes.

IMHO, symlinking a bunch of system config files into a BK repository is
not a good idea.

> have different config from the NTP clients). I suppose symlinks could be
> used or perhaps, there should be concept of a shared tree with per host
> overrides. EG
>
> BKREPO/etc/ntp/ntp.conf
> BKREPO/ntpserver/etc/ntp/ntp.conf

Just change the files locally, and don't push the local change to the
master repo. Ensuring that changes only go one-way is what "bk level" is
good for.

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/