List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] BK to CVS conversion tool ?
From:       Stelian Pop <stelian.pop () fr ! alcove ! com>
Date:       2002-04-20 13:13:38

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 12:34:20AM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> > Yes, I think CVS import is pretty much what I need. Except that
> > it uses a 'vendor branch' I don't wanna see...
> >
> That vendor branch is just the default revision number of 1.1.1 you're
> importing to. There's nothing magic about it; you should be able to
> specify a different revision (preferably a branch tag...) with the import
> statement.

Yes, I know that.

I understand also that properly supporting 'parallel development' with
BK would require CVS branches.

But if there is no parallel development (only 1 developer checking in),
I don't want to see any CVS branch.

> > I want if fact the CVS tree to be more or less the 'same' as if I
> > was still working on it. (for as long as I don't use extended BK
> > features, like parallel development etc).
> >
> Well, have fun.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have fun if I start to write such a tool :-)

> Personally I'd just do a "bk export -tplain", and let
> people sync their local copy via rsync. They can do their own
> vendor-branch check-in into a local CVS repository if they need to
> keep local changes and don't want to use Bitkeeper.

Yes, it is the "sanest" idea, unfortunatelly there is no more SCM
involved here (and the users will not be able to do diffs between
revisions, see the changes between two revisions etc).

The proper way to do it is of course to tell everybody to use BK.
But that was not the point of the thread :-)

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com>
Alcove - http://www.alcove.com