List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] clone and snapshot questions
From:       Larry McVoy <lm () bitmover ! com>
Date:       2001-11-17 16:35:58

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 08:01:33PM -0500, Philip M. Wells wrote:
> There are two things I would like to be able to do with bitkeeper and I
> can't figure out how to do either of them:
>
> Is there a way to retrieve a snapshot of a remote tree (so that I can
> grab all the current files for, say, the linuxppc kernel w/o having to
> download (and store) the complete revision history for every file)?

Sorry, no.  It's also not clear that you would save anything.  People
typically store the tree in compressed more (bk -r admin -Z) which for
a recent Linux 2.4 tree that Ted Tso built results in the revision history
taking 71 MB.  When you check all of that out, you are looking at a 215 MB
tree, so that means:

	revision history:   71MB
	checked out files: 144MB

Also, there is an undocumented lclone command which hardlinks the revision
history so you can have as many snapshots as you want for free.  Contact
me for details.

> Even if I can't do that, is there a way to restart a clone operation that
> has been killed or stopped (and that only had a chance to download half
> of the files)?  If I try to clone again, I am told that the tree already
> exists locally, and if I try a pull, it says that there is nothing to
> pull, (I guess since there havn't been any changes to the remote tree
> since I did the unfinished clone).

If the clone was unfinished, it should have left your tree locked.  If you
go to your tree and do a "bk -r check -ac" what does it say?  Nothing means
that it is complete.

We've had this question come up before and some day we will give you
restartable clones.  But our general position is that clones should not
fail, at least not due to any fault on the part of BK.  So we want to
make sure we are not covering up a BK problem when we give you restart.
--
---