List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] Trigger script to auto-update a version number
From:       Georg Nikodym <georgn () somanetworks ! com>
Date:       2001-11-09 18:11:28

On Fri, 2001-11-09 at 07:28, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> #!/bin/sh
> [nice trigger script elided...]

This is all very good but if your work spans multiple repositories then
this doesn't really solve the problem.

What is the problem?

The need for a customer (customer in the broadest possible sense of the
word) visible label for a specific point in your changeset graph(s).

The answer lies in decoupling this labeling from the changeset SCCS
version number.  With BK, this is done with tags.

We tag all our repositories with the same vX.Y.Z every time we do a
production build (which is weekly).  We even have a simple script to
extract the last tag and invent the next one (ie. Z+1).

Thus we can clone -rTAG all of our repositories to reproduce an old
build.

--Georg