List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] New versions?
From:       Michael Widenius <monty () mysql ! com>
Date:       2001-09-29 11:30:06

Hi!

>>>>> "Larry" == Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> writes:
<cut>

arry> Cort has moved on to other things so we need to find some more people who
Larry> want to live on the bleeding edge.  If you're someone who uses BK a lot,
Larry> is willing to try out our new stuff as soon as we think it is ready,
Larry> and are willing to work with us when there is a problem, we want to
Larry> know who you are.  What you get is better response time on bug fixes,
Larry> and what we get is greater testing coverage.  Tom, you and Paul are
Larry> great candidates for this sort of relationship, if you want to work
Larry> more closely with us let me know.  That goes for anyone else as well,
Larry> I could imagine some of the other kernel folks or the MySQL people being
Larry> interested, but it's certainly not limited to that.  Just let me know.

I think we could put a couple of our developers to use the bleeding edge.
The main question then is where you should announce that there is a
new bk release, so that we know it's time to upgrade.

How about a bitkeeper-internals list ?

Larry> That said, we do have what we hope is real bk-2.0 out in our Stable
Larry> download directory.  It's taken a little longer than expected to
Larry> stabilize, we put in some much improved merge technology (do a bk help
Larry> smerge or a bk smerge -e to see what I'm talking about) and there were
Larry> some bugs.  The value of the improved merge was so high that we felt it
Larry> was worth it to delay 2.0 for it.

Regards,
Monty